Hiding and showing columns and rows can be very helpful when, for example, you want to hide parts of your spreadsheet that are distracting, and if you want to hide them temporarily. To learn how to hide or show columns and rows, follow the steps below that outline two methods for hiding and showing columns:
Normally, we hide or unhide rows and columns by using the Hide or Unhide features from the right-clicking menu. Besides this method, we can hide or unhide rows or columns easily with plus or minus sign in Excel.
Hide/Unhide Rows Or Columns With Plus Or Minus Sign
Please do as follows to hide or unhide rows or columns with plus or minus sign in Excel.
1. Select the entire rows or columns you need to hide or unhide with plus or minus sign, then click Group in the Outline group under Data tab. See screenshot:
2. Then the minus sign is displayed on the left of selected rows, or displayed at the top of the selected columns. Click the minus sign, the selected rows or column are hidden immediately. And click the Plus sign, the hidden rows or columns are showing at once.
Note: For removing the plus or minus sign, please select the rows or columns which you have added plus or minus sign into, then click Ungroup button under Data tab.
Sometimes it can be useful to hide columns or rows in Excel.
To hide a column, execute the following steps.
1. Select a column.
2. Right click, and then click Hide.
Note: to hide a row, select a row, right click, and then click Hide.
To unhide a column, execute the following steps.
1. Select the columns on either side of the hidden column.
2. Right click, and then click Unhide.
Note: to unhide a row, select the rows on either side of the hidden row, right click, and then click Unhide.